TO REPORT AN EMERGENCY CALL 9-1-1

FIRE PREVENTION WEEK OCTOBER 7-13

LIGHTERS AND MATCHES

Every year hundreds of fires are started by children playing with lighters or matches. Many of these fires are caused by children under the age of five. Children as young as 18 months have caused fires by operating lighters. Disposable lighters sold by retailers must be child-resistant, but remember, child-resistant does not mean childproof. Store lighters out of sight and out of the reach of children and do not remove the child safety devices from the lighter. Remember to:

  • Teach children that lighters and matches are not toys.

  • Instruct young children to tell an adult if they find lighters or matches.

  • Set a good example: always use lighters and matches responsibly.

  • Install and maintain smoke alarms.

  • Supervise your children as they play.

BURNS FROM HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES

  • Turn pot handles towards the centre of the stove.

  • Keep cords for electrical appliances such as deep fryers, kettles, steam irons and toasters out of the reach of children.

  • Supervise children near lamps with accessible hot light bulbs.

  • Store items that interest children, such as cookies, away from the immediate area around the kitchen stove.

  • Keep children away from stationary and portable heaters.

DANGER! GASOLINE

Facts you should know to prevent explosion and fire from gasoline vapours:

Gasoline can be more dangerous than dynamite because it emits invisible, explosive vapours that ignite easily, even at low temperatures. Vapour from gasoline is also heavier than air and so travels close to the floor where it can easily come into contact with sparks from electric motors, water heaters, furnace motors and switches. Sparks or open flames can ignite vapours a great distance from their source.

By law, gasoline must be stored in safety containers which have been approved by a nationally recognized and certified agency. Approved containers display these labels prominently. However, care must be taken even though these containers are designed to prevent spillage. Minor gasoline spills should be cleaned up immediately.

Anyone using or storing gasoline should keep an appropriate Class B fire extinguisher nearby since it is designed to extinguish gasoline or other flammable liquid fires.

 

  • NEVER store or transport gasoline in glass, in metal cans with plastic parts or in plastic containers which have not been approved for these uses.

  • NEVER smoke while you are handling gasoline or other flammable liquids.

  • NEVER use gasoline to start your barbecue or as a cleaner or solvent.

  • NEVER store gasoline in basements, pits or other confined areas. Gasoline must be stored in areas that are well-ventilated, free from ignition sources and in areas permitted by the National Fire Code of Canada.

In case of major spills – Get out and stay out!

  • Clear people from the area immediately.

  • Open exterior doors and windows to ventilate the area.

  • Call the fire department from a neighbour’s phone.

  • Do not operate light switches, electrical appliances or any other source of sparks.

  • Don’t light matches or lighters, and extinguish cigarettes immediately.

  • Do not re-enter the area until the hazard has been eliminated.

Call your local fire department if you have questions concerning the safe storage and use of gasoline.

MICROWAVE OVEN FIRES

  • Microwave ovens are quick and convenient- but they can be dangerous if they are not used properly. Do not use foil or metal containers in the microwave. Watch for sparks that can set food and paper towels on fire. If a fire occurs, keep the door closed and unplug the unit. Before you use it again, have it checked for damage by a qualified repair person.
  • Use caution when handling foods cooked in a microwave! Some foods heat up more quickly than others. For example, pastries and baby bottles may feel cool to the touch- while the inside is scalding hot.
  • Treat burns with cool water. If the burn blisters or chars, see a doctor immediately. It is particularly important to see a doctor if there are burns to the inside of the mouth.